This article was originally published on 24/7Mirror
There were over 48,000 submissions from some of the best photographers in the 2018 Siena International Photo Award. The judges had a tough but fun time deciding the best photos. In total, the participants competed in 11 categories, ranging from stunning landscapes to subtle portraits and dramatic sports moments, each of them show just how diverse our beautiful world really is. We still can't decide which one is our favorite. Keep reading to find out which one you like the most!
1. El Calbuco, Chile (The Beauty of The Nature Category: First Position)
The photographer took this mesmerizing photo during a violent night eruption of the Calbuco volcano in the Lagos region, Chile.
We don't think that there is anything else that is so beautiful and scary at the same time. This is inarguably Mother Nature at its absolute best.
2. Killer Whale, Norway (Animals In Their Environment Category: Honorable Mention)
This killer whale emerged on the surface while hunting in an Arctic Norwegian fjord.
The photographer was waiting for this moment and captured something truly amazing. Amazingly, this photo was shot during the polar night.
3. Sharing Emotion (Fascinating Faces And Characters Category: Remarkable Award)
The photographer was able to capture a photo that is both beautiful and heartbreaking.
We knew that a picture speaks a thousand words, now we saw it.
4. Underwater View Of The Winter Lofoten (The Beauty Of The Nature Category" Remarkable Award)
This underwater photo deserved to win an award as the water must be at freezing temperatures there.
It shows two sides of life as the urchin is bright and cheerful and the mountains are covered with dull snow.
5. Rhino Silhouette, Kenya (Environment Category: Honorable Mention)
The photographer was riding out of camp early morning in Masai Mara National Park in search of the Great Migration when he saw this rhino standing beside a tree.
He took this amazing photo and it feels like the leaves are flying away. This is magical stuff.
6. Cosmic Wildflowers, Brazil (In The beauty of the nature Category: Honorable Mention)
When there is 180 º panorama and the background is elevated with the milky way, the field of Paepalantus wildflowers glows like tiny lights.
This unbelievable photo was taken in the National Park of Vaedeiros Tablelands.
7. The Wave, Antarctica Waters (Journeys And Adventures Category: Third Place)
The photographer was able to capture this photo in the Drake Passage, between Antarctica and Cape Horn.
This 12-meter wave pounded the boat's forecastle and thankfully, the photographer was ready to capture it.
8. Is That Nemo? (Animals in Their Environment Category: Remarkable Award)
We are in love with the burst of color in this photo. It is a beautiful shot by the photographer.
This super cutie looks like Nemo and we cannot get enough of it. Certainly, it deserved an award.
9. Joana Sitting With Her Grandmother, Cuba (Fascinating faces and characters Category: Honorable Mention)
Joana Menendez Gonzalez is a dancer at the Tropicana Cabaret in Havana. For this photo, she sat with her maternal grandmother.
Look how graceful both of them are looking. This a beautiful shot!
10. Mind The Gap, Antarctica (Environment Category: Honorable Mention)
The photographer was able to capture this amazing shot of a small group of Emperor Penguins as they huddled near a crack in an ice age floe.
This is a pristine area of the Southern Ocean, which is also known as the Ross Sea.
11. Arctic Fox, USA (Animals In Their Environment Category: Third Place)
The photographer found this fox scavenging a Caribou's carcass on the coastal plains of Alaska's Artic.
Believe it or not, the photographer had to spend 2 hours approaching this little cutie and took this photo when it was just six feet away from him. What a majestic creature!
12. Camels In The Desert, Mongolia (General Color Category: 2nd Place)
The photographer took this photo in Inner Mongolia on the evening of October 24, 2017. In the photo, the camels and the dogs are creating waves of dust under the sunset's glow.
It is a spectacular sight and the lighting is incredible. This photo makes us want to go to Mongolia.
13. The Beakful Of The Hoopoe, Italy (Animals In Their Environment Category: Honorable Mention)
Hoopoe is one of the most beautiful bird species in Trentino and this photo can easily melt anyone's heart.
The photographer saw the nest and the Hoopoe flying near it; he wasted no time and captured this beautiful photo.
14. Run! (Animals In Their Environment Category: Remarkable Award)
Hello, there little fella. Why are you running? The smile on this little cutie is saying, "catch me if you can."
Looking at this photo makes us want to say, "koochi-koochi koo!" We just want to hug this little furball forever.
15. The Road Of Fortune, Vietnam (Splash of Colors Category: Honorable Mention)
The red color is known for good luck in Vietnam. Traditionally, it is the symbolic color of happiness.
In this photo, these are Joss sticks that are offered at altars to obtain good fortune and business.
16. Flying On The Beach, The Netherlands (General Color Category: Honorable Mention)
The photographer didn't take this photo by chance, He had to lie down in the cold water and look for the right position for it.
Once he got the position, he took the photo at the exact moment when the doggo was jumping high to catch the disc. Hence, it gave the impression that the dog is flying.
17. Giochi In Verde (The Beauty Of The Nature Category: Remarkable Award)
You might have seen this photo somewhere on the internet. It became quite popular.
You can see Northern Lights when you are in Iceland. It is so captivating. Beautiful!
18. Drink, China (Fascinating faces and characters Category: Honorable Mention)
This small hilltop village has water shortage problems. The photographer took a photo of a little boy attempting to drink water from a water pipe.
This photo clearly depicts water shortage problems in the world and gives a strong message on how we need to play our role in preserving water and not wasting it.
19. Unity, Bangladesh (Animals In Their Environment Category: Honorable Mention)
There is nothing in the world that cannot be achieved through unity and hard work.
Dedication and persistence is the key and these ants are showing a perfect example of unity. Ants are truly masters of teamwork.
20. Facing Reality, Pleneau Island, Antarctic Peninsula (Animals In Their Environment Category: First Place)
A leopard seal was hiding in a lagoon before low tide, hiding and waiting for its prey. A young penguin got closer and the seal moved fast and caught it by its feet.
The photographer felt lucky to capture such an intense moment of survival. The penguin didn’t survive.
21. Battle Victim, Bangladesh (Photo Of The Year Award)
The world knows about what took place in Myanmar, on September 6th, 2017. This photo depicts a traumatized boy after the violence in Myanmar.
This young girl entered the Tenkhali Rohingya refugee camp with her family from Myanmar state, Kumar Khali. If we look at the UNHCR stats, we'll find that over 646,000 Rohingya refugees fled from Myanmar after the extreme violence.
22. School Of Barracuda (Animals In Their Environment Category: Remarkable Award)
The photographer believes that he was fortunate enough to be in that exact situation (also with barracuda) some years ago.
The composition is quite perfect and everything looks pleasing to the eyes. A remarkable shot!
23. Kid With Hand Crafts, Ethiopia (Fascinating Faces And Characters Category: First Place)
The families in the Suri tribe in Ethiopia over-protect their kids. The photographer thinks of these metal handcrafts as a jail.
Due to overprotection, families can marginalize their new generation from the world.
24. Break, Indonesia (Fascinating faces and characters Category: Honorable Mention)
Due to poverty, people have to work for hours to make ends meet. This is one such example.
The photographer captured this strong and emotional photo of a man taking a break at a noodle factory in Indonesia. His face has exhausted expression which shows the extreme working condition there.
25. Love On The Rocks (Environment Category: Remarkable Award In Animals)
This photo beautifully captured moments of love between a species that is "at-risk" of getting extinct.
We just hope that humans understand the value of these beautiful animals and do whatever they can to help their species.
26. Jump, Canada (Environment Category: Honorable Mention In Animals)
As this snowy owl took a flight as a result of a call of another female, the photographer captured this spectacular shot.
By the way, this species is known for giving particular care to protecting its own hunting territory.
27. Little Nenets Nedko, Russia (Journeys and Adventures Category: Honorable Mention)
There are some extraordinary people living in the North. They had adjusted themselves to live in the extreme weather of North. These people still maintain a traditional culture despite the fact that they are in the 21st century.
They are time-honored people who have a close connection with nature and have a caring attitude towards everything around them.
28. Share (Fascinating Faces And Characters Category: Remarkable Award)
Most of us have read or heard somewhere that sharing is caring. This couple took sharing to the technological level with this photo.
It is so cute and heartwarming. We bet you can't find a more adorable photo on the internet than this one.
29. Duel In The Snow (Animals In Their Environment Category: Remarkable Award)
The photographer was able to capture two snow-covered bison in a duel.
As males fight for territory, these 2 bison were having a duel and the photographer was lucky to capture this amazing photograph.
30. Kitten (Animals In Their Environment Category: Remarkable Award)
All cats lovers should feel lucky to see this little cutie with his mother. It seems like he is planning on teasing his mother.
At first, we thought it was a baby cheetah with a really long neck.
31. Beyond Pink, USA (General Color Category: Honorable Mention)
The photographer took an empowering and honest picture of breast cancer.
This superwoman embraced cancer at first and then defeated it, Amazing shot!
32. Travelers, Antarctica (The Beauty Of The Nature Category: Third Place)
This is a group of Chinstrap Penguins resting on an iceberg. If you ever get a chance of sailing Antarctic waters, you will see different types of icebergs.
Some of the icebergs you’ll find will be floating and if you are lucky enough, you might even get a chance to see these penguins resting on them.
33. Floating Market, Indonesia (Splash Of Colors Category: First Place)
In the colorful Lok Baintan Floating Market in Indonesia, you'll find hundreds of boats meet there before sunrise. This is a fantastic aerial view.
Did you know that it is one of the oldest markets in Asia? It is one of those markets where inhabitants still trade from traditional wooden boats.
34. Polar Trout, Norway (The beauty of the nature Category: Honorable Mention)
During a special night atmosphere, the photographer caught the photo of a brown trout spawning.
It is an amazing photo as no artificial lighting was used to capture it. The light is due to the stars and the full moon.
35. Small Houses, Russia (Architecture and Urban Spaces Category: First Place)
The photographer was able to take a shot of Russian dachas near the city of Arkhangelsk.
The white snow and the color of houses give off an intense contrast. Beautiful!
36. Cold At Surface, Norway (The beauty of the nature Category: Honorable Mention)
This photo was shot during a freezing polar night when the temperature in the waters of Tromsø was -18°C.
The photographer captured a killer whale taking a breath at the cold surface. We all should thank the Killer Whale for gifting us this brilliant photo.
37. Migration, Saudi Arabia (The Beauty Of The Nature Category: Second Position)
This photo was taken in the desert of Dahana (Saudi Arabia) where Bedouins migrate with camels in search of water and food.
The photographer took this beautiful photo in a peaceful atmosphere, all thanks to a group of nomads and the shadows of their camels.
38. Redyk, Poland (Journeys and Adventures Category: Honorable Mention)
This photo was taken in Mizerna, in southern Poland. This is a traditional sheep grazing called Redyk and has over 1,500 animals.
The shepherds bring back the animals to the city from the Low Beskid Mountains and then the owners take care of them during the winter.
39. Flying Fishing Nest, China (General Color Category: Third Place)
The fisherman was at work on the Ningde Jiuli River in Xiapu County, China.
As the wind was lifting his fishing nets, the scene was evoking a sense of peace and the photographer took this photo in a magical atmosphere.
40. Vulture And Jackal (Animals In Their Environment Category: Remarkable Award)
These vultures are really big and it won't be wrong to say that they do look like flying dinosaurs.
And the spread of those wings is just mind-blowing stuff. Beautiful shot!
41. The Window, Costa Rica (The beauty of the nature Category: Honorable Mention)
During the photographer's stay in a hotel in Costa Rice, he noticed that the gardens were flooded with red-eyed frogs (Agalichnis callydrias).
He found this frog and took its picture. It seems like it was sticking out of a window and enjoying the outside view.
42. Smoking An Old Woman (Fascinating Faces And Characters Category: Remarkable Award)
This old lady was smoking when the photographer took her photo and isn't it beautiful?
Though she has become old, she is enjoying something that most probably she had been doing all her entire life.
43. Snowy Ballerina (Animals In Their Environment Category: Remarkable Award)
The photographer was able to take a photo of a beautiful owl during flight.
Isn't it remarkable? And just look at those attractive eyes.
44. The Great Eclipse, USA (The beauty of the nature Category: Honorable Mention)
The photographer took this photo during the total solar eclipse and it is just gorgeous.
The total solar eclipse happened in August 2017 and it is the result of HDR stacking from 14 images.
45. Sperm Whale Herd, Sri Lanka (Animals In Their Environment Category: Third Place)
These sperm whales emerged from milling around in a gigantic cluster.
Perhaps many of them were defecating. The photographer richly deserved the third place award for this stunning photo.
46. A Giant In The Dark, Botswana (General Monochrome Category: Honorable Mention)
This close-up photo of a bull elephant (Loxodonta africana) was captured by the photographer in Chobe National Park in Botswana.
The photographer blurred the background to enhance the image of this mammoth animal.
47. Ouch, It Is Cold (Journeys And Adventures Category: Remarkable Award)
The photographer was able to take a shot of children dressed up for the extreme weather.
We wonder they will grow up to tell the story of how they walked for 4 miles in the snow just to go to school.
48. Game Of Colors, India (Splash Of Colors Category: Second Place)
The Indians celebrate the yearly Holi Festival, which means the announcement of the arrival of the spring season.
The colorful atmosphere there radiates happiness and love. It is a beautiful shot by any stretch of the imagination.
49. Leap Of Leopards (Animals In Their Environment Category: Remarkable Award)
These leopards climb tall trees and then wait for their unsuspecting prey to come near.
That's when they pounce on them and try to achieve a successful hunt. By the way, that's one way of drying your meat.
50. Exhalation (Splash Of Colors Category: Remarkable Award)
We believe that it is a picture of a leaf taken with slow shutter speed while moving the camera or maybe a fast shutter speed.
Nevertheless, it is an amazing photo that shows beautiful, stunning colors.